top of page

Hearst | Hearst Communications | Lionbliss Research


Hearst is a leading global, diversified information, services and media company with operations in 40 countries. Its major interests include financial services leader Fitch Group; Hearst Health, a group of medical information and services businesses; Hearst Transportation, which includes CAMP Systems International, a major provider of software-as-a-service solutions for managing maintenance of jets and helicopters; ownership in cable television networks such as A&E, HISTORY, Lifetime and ESPN; 33 television stations; 24 daily and 52 weekly newspapers; digital services businesses; and nearly 250 magazines around the world. -

Hearst Communications

Hearst Communications, Inc., often referred to simply as Hearst, is an American multinational mass media and business information conglomerate based in the Hearst Tower in Midtown Manhattan, New York City.[3] Hearst owns newspapers, magazines, television channels, and television stations, including the San Francisco Chronicle, the Houston Chronicle, Cosmopolitan and Esquire. It owns 50% of the A&E Networks cable network group and 20% of the sports cable network group ESPN, both in partnership with The Walt Disney Company.[4] The conglomerate also owns several business-information companies, including Fitch Ratings and First Databank.[5]

  • In 1880, George Hearst, mining entrepreneur and U.S. senator, bought the San Francisco Daily Examiner.[6] In 1887, he turned the Examiner over to his son, William Randolph Hearst, who that year founded the Hearst Corporation. The younger Hearst eventually built readership for Hearst-owned newspapers and magazines from 15,000 to over 20 million.[7] Hearst began to purchase and launched other newspapers, including the New York Journal in 1895[8] and the Los Angeles Examiner in 1903.[6]

  • In the 1920s and 1930s, Hearst owned the biggest media conglomerate in the world, which included a number of magazines and newspapers in major cities. Hearst also began acquiring radio stations to complement his papers.[16] Hearst saw financial challenges in the early 1920s, when he was using company funds to build Hearst Castle in San Simeon and support movie production at Cosmopolitan Productions. This eventually led to the merger of the magazine Hearst International with Cosmopolitan in 1925.[17]

  • In addition to print and radio, Hearst established Cosmopolitan Pictures in the early 1920s, distributing his films under the newly created Metro Goldwyn Mayer.[20] In 1929, Hearst and MGM created the Hearst Metrotone newsreels.[21]

Notable Content

  • Under William Randolph Hearst's will, a common board of thirteen trustees (its composition fixed at five family members and eight outsiders) administers the Hearst Foundation, the William Randolph Hearst Foundation, and the trust that owns (and selects the 26-member[68] board of) the Hearst Corporation (immediate parent of Hearst Communications which shares the same officers). The foundations shared ownership until tax law changed to prevent this.[69][70]

  • In 2009, it was estimated to be the largest private company managed by trustees in this way.[71] As of 2017, the trustees are:[72]


A non-exhaustive list of its current properties and investments includes:



(alphabetical by state, then title)


  • A+E Networks (owns 50%; shared joint venture with The Walt Disney Company)

  • ESPN, Inc. (owns 20%; also shared with Disney, which owns the other 80%)

    • CTV Specialty Television (owns 4% through its co-ownership of ESPN; shared joint venture with Bell Media, which owns 80%)

  • Hearst Television (owns 100%; owner of 29 local television stations and two local radio stations/one translator)

  • Hearst Media Production Group (owns 100%; provider of syndicated programming, mainly educational and informational programming, and contracted with four of the five major broadcast networks to provide their weekly educational output)


"Delish" redirects here. For the word, see Wiktionary and Delicious. Look up delish in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.


  • Clevver[65]


  • Digital Spy

  • NetDoctor

  • Hearst Interactive Media[67]


  • Black Book (National Auto Research)

  • CDS Global

  • First Databank

  • Fitch Ratings

  • Homecare Homebase

  • iCrossing

  • Jumpstart Automotive Group

  • King Features Syndicate


  • LocalEdge (Buffalo, New York)

  • Map of Medicine

  • MCG Health

  • ODG by Workloss Data Institute

  • Zynx Health


bottom of page